Wherefore art thou, my Valentine?

Another Valentine's day has passed and I'm still single. It's that day of the year when I'm reminded how much being single, being alone sucks! While couples all over the the world go on dates, shower each other with gifts, here I sit alone in my room, blogging about it.

When I'm in a big city, guys constantly ask annoying questions like, 'You're single?' with such sympathy and concern. 'Really?You have no sex life? That must suck! Don't worry, you will find someone. Just be on the look out.' As if being single means being worthless and something to be looked down on. It has sort of become obligatory to be in a relationship even when they don't love each other just to show off their boyfriends/girlfriends. Other unnecessary questions involve, 'How many girls have you been with?' If your answer is less than 3, the response from the guys would be, 'That less? Come on dude, you gotta up your game'. However, the lesser number of ex-girlfriends you have had, the more impressed girls will be. If your answer is 'none', be prepared for the mundane question, 'Are you gay?'

 Contrary to those folks who nag me with uncomfortable and personal questions, there are others (the small town peeps) who exclaim in shock, 'What! You are in a relationship! You had sex?', as if I have committed a loathsome crime. Especially for girls, I've seen them being categorized as 'characterless' if they choose to be in a relationship or engage in pre-marital sex. Such backward, orthodox beliefs are mostly the products of their conservative background. These sort of pervasive thoughts lead to prejudicial fallacies which impede the growth of a modern society.

  What I would really like to ask these judgmental and narrow minded people is to grow up and mind their own business. Your being in a relationship or being single does not measure your value or worth. And for the Judgy Judgersons out there, being in love, losing virginity is one's own choice and it does not make them any less of a good human being.  Well, as for me, just when I was starting to think it was the end of the world for me and I would never find someone again, I fell in love again. My heart skips a beat every time I see her. Could she be the one? Or is it someone else for me?  You never know, she could be reading this post right now! Hopefully, I'll be celebrating Valentines day with her next year.

4 comments:

  1. Its a fun read!! Could relate to a lot of things!! And hope u get ur Valentine soon :)

    aman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one CC !! Clever wordplay, Very mature and appealing :)I am sure u will celebrate u r next valentine with a very beautiful and intelligent girl :)

    Rajeev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your are a nice person a know how it feel when you see how friends celebrate Valentine and you don't but it's okay you'll soon fine the right person as you're a wonderful person =)

    And I'm sure that you'll take great care of that girl and she'll be very lucky to fall in love with someone like you =)

    I wish you all the best and hope that you fine her soon =)

    Bebo Best

    ReplyDelete